Pros and Cons of Telecommuting Jobs
Telecommuting is a new phenomenon which has become extremely popular in the business world. It involves employees working from the comfort of their home. This process involves various pros and cons from which have been discussed below:
- Helps in saving valuable time- Doing an office job involves travelling from your home to office daily. In many cases people travel long distances to work in an office. Telecommuting helps in saving the time lost in travelling from home to office. This can help a person in spending that extra time with his family or in pursuing activities which he likes.
- Brings responsibility along with freedom- Telecommuting enables you to work in an environment where you are free from over supervision by the seniors and from the conspiracies of jealous co-workers. You can create your own schedule and work accordingly. You don’t have to follow a monotonous schedule daily. You can work in the early hours of the morning or in the late hours of night. You can easily perform tasks like visiting a nearby market. But you also need to be responsible towards your work. You should be strong enough to resist the temptation of a nap or viewing television.
- Cost effective- Working from home helps you in saving various expenses like travelling costs, office outfits etc. In many countries, tax rebates are also offered to people working from home.
- Not suitable for extroverts- If you are an extrovert who cannot do without the company of people then telecommuting is not an ideal option. Such people feel isolated if they have to work from home. In some cases, unwanted solitude could lead to depression or other mental illness.
- Creates wrong perception in the minds of managers- You might be completely sincere towards your work and your output might be excellent. But there is a general perception that people who work from home are less productive than people working in office. A person working from home might find it difficult to convince the higher management regarding his efficiency.